My 6 Months in Paradise

On December 30th, 2010, I began my 6 month adventure of attending BYU Hawaii on the island of Oahu. I boarded a plane at 2:30 pm after a short delay due to a Utah snow storm. Soon I arrived at my layover in Seattle where my best friend Janae and her husband Blake were able to grab a bit to eat with me until my next flight was boarding. I then left for an almost 6 hour restless flight to Honolulu. I was greeted by my aunt, uncle and a bundle of cousins. My cute cousin Alyssa ran up and put a lei around my neck...my little Hawaiian initiation! After a long day I was ready to catch up on some sleep. The next morning I woke up to an orange bird chirping and a warm breeze coming through the window, so nice having come directly out of Utah winter weather. The sun was shining and there was lots of exploring to get up and go do, and so my little journey began...

Sunday, February 27, 2011

Slip n' Slide!!

A couple of weeks ago, a big group of us piled in a couple of cars and drove to the other side of the island to a reservoir that is known for some good slip n' slide action. 

It may be illegal, but we aren't hurting anything by being there, and it is SO worth the legal risk! We brought bottles of dish soap and body boards.

So, this reservoir is filled with run off water (at least to my understanding) so it is relatively clean. The entire reservoir is covered with a thick and super smooth tarping, making it perfect for sliding.


Usually the water level allows for 30-40 feet of sliding before you go into the water, but because of it being the rainy season the water levels only gave us 15-20 feet.

We are planning on going back in a few month when it dries up more so we can have twice as much fun! There are steps going up the sides of the reservoir at many different spots so its easy to climb back out.



It was fun going down the tarp on the body boards, laying down, and trying to surf down it standing up:

 Me and Erica going down on body boards

 Andy, Tanner and Jordan

 Jordan, Tanner and Andy

 We recorded a video of us all going one after the other, crossing from side to side right here. This is a clip form the video where Nate, half a second after this, slips before he gets to the water and hits his head. He had a slight concussion. I cant believe how hard he hit!

 Doggy pile on the body board!

 Mary, Me and Makara taking in the tropical environment!
It was a rainy day (which helped with the slip n' slide) so the mountains were misty,
and we could see lots of waterfalls.

 Jordan surfing down the tarp

It was so much fun going with so many people. Hopefully next time we go the water wont be so high so it'll be even more fun! One thing is that I wish more than anything we had brought some bug spray. It was mosquito CENTRAL, and we all left with dozens of bites.


No comments:

Post a Comment