My 6 Months in Paradise

On December 30th, 2010, I began my 6 month adventure of attending BYU Hawaii on the island of Oahu. I boarded a plane at 2:30 pm after a short delay due to a Utah snow storm. Soon I arrived at my layover in Seattle where my best friend Janae and her husband Blake were able to grab a bit to eat with me until my next flight was boarding. I then left for an almost 6 hour restless flight to Honolulu. I was greeted by my aunt, uncle and a bundle of cousins. My cute cousin Alyssa ran up and put a lei around my neck...my little Hawaiian initiation! After a long day I was ready to catch up on some sleep. The next morning I woke up to an orange bird chirping and a warm breeze coming through the window, so nice having come directly out of Utah winter weather. The sun was shining and there was lots of exploring to get up and go do, and so my little journey began...

Sunday, February 27, 2011

How could I forget THE BUNKERS?!

I have been slacking. Hardcore. I keep doing these fun and amazing things here in Hawaii, and Ive been falling behind in documenting them! I pay way too much attention to my facebook page. I need to start prioritizing and tend to my blog too! Well, I just noticed that I have forgotten to put up pictures from the bunkers. The bunkers are some old World War II bunkers that are a few miles down the coastline from where I live. Ive gone to the bunkers a couple of times now, and they never cease to amaze me! When I say "amaze" here, I mean that they are like nothing Ive ever been to before. Once again, it may or may not be illegal, but what fun activity isn't around here!?


First, you climb a little gate and walk up a little ways to the bunker's entrances. 
During the weekdays, these bunkers are used as museums for tours and they have all sorts of WWII stuff in them.


Apparently, this is a film location for Pearl Harbor! These are real WWII bunkers, but after the war, it was used for movies. Lost was also filmed here.
In between the 2 huge main bunkers is a locked and barred door. Someone (and now all of us) just so happens to know the combo to the lock. Inside this area is NOT part of the museum. This stuff isn't viewed by the public and is probably not supposed to be viewed at all, hence the barred and locked door!


As you go inside, there are lots of things, like those green cloth cots that they would use to put hurt people on:

Jordan and Zack carrying around Mary
There were all sorts of things like mattresses in a pile, tons of barrels labeled "Not regulated" stacked on top of each other, and random stuff that aren't from the war like life jackets, a drum set, fins, etc. Someone must have known that this place isn't open to the public and is using it for their own storage. The floor has big gaps all over, lots of them are covered with ply wood. You definitely have to watch your step. On one side of the musty, dirty room is a big hole with some sort of animal bones inside: creepy!
Now for the fun part. You have to climb up about 10 flights of ladders. Not just any ladders, these things are old, and rickety and go straight up. They feel like they'll never end. The last ladder at the top isn't bolted in at the bottom, so its really sketchy, not to mention it is pitch black and we didn't have nearly enough flashlights to light up the ladders for everyone the whole time! Lets just say I was glad to reach the top.

Climbing up the roughly 150 feet of ladder to the top!
I was so scared to slip, that would have been disastrous.

My cousin Alex on our way up.

When we got to the top, there are 2 main rooms. EVERYTHING is graffitied. I think it looks really cool. Obviously there are lots of locals and other college kids that know the combo to the lock to get in here, but not enough that we will ever run into anyone when we come.
When you go thru the first room, you go into the second room. This room is awesome, because it is flush with the face of the steep mountain that the bunkers are inside of. There is a 2 ft. gap through the middle of the concrete walls, allowing for an amazing view of the ocean! We are right on the shoreline, I could probably throw a rock into the ocean from there. There is stand in the floor that is super heavy duty, which (as the locals say) most likely held a machine gun. I think it held some sort of telescope like ones on submarines because there is a hole in the ceiling directly above it and when we climbed out and on top of the room, it had more hardware that looks like something attached to it. 

Tanner posing on the outside of the second room. There is a 2 foot piece of concrete that wraps around the outside of it. Its sketchy because that 2 ft wide "walk way" is a 150 ft drop off to the ground below us. If you climb around it though, you can climb on top of the room, which makes for the most beautiful and secluded look out place I have EVER been to. We are literally in the face of a ridiculously steep mountain, yards from the ocean, in an old, locked up WWII bunker. How cool is that?!

Here is everyone that went. There were 18 of us that came down in 2 cars. That's how we do it in Hawaii!

Here are just some fun pictures of us goofing around in the bunkers:

 Alex, Tanner, Andrew and Andy

 Me and Tanner posing with Buddha

 Me and a kid I don't know in the creepy closet!

My cousin Andrew and I posing with the graffiti

Jordan giving me a lift so I can grab the graffiti axe

1 comment:

  1. Hi Liz, I'm Jonathan. I know its been 5 years since you posted this blog about your time and adventures spent here in Hawaii, but I'm extremely interested in finding out where that bunker is that you went in. Ive lived on island for 2 1/2 years now, hiked almost everything and am looking for my next adventure. Any info would be greatly appreciated...and that combo. lol
    Here's my fb so you can message me there. I hope to hear back from you. Thanks Jonathan Drzemiecki

    ReplyDelete