My 6 Months in Paradise

On December 30th, 2010, I began my 6 month adventure of attending BYU Hawaii on the island of Oahu. I boarded a plane at 2:30 pm after a short delay due to a Utah snow storm. Soon I arrived at my layover in Seattle where my best friend Janae and her husband Blake were able to grab a bit to eat with me until my next flight was boarding. I then left for an almost 6 hour restless flight to Honolulu. I was greeted by my aunt, uncle and a bundle of cousins. My cute cousin Alyssa ran up and put a lei around my neck...my little Hawaiian initiation! After a long day I was ready to catch up on some sleep. The next morning I woke up to an orange bird chirping and a warm breeze coming through the window, so nice having come directly out of Utah winter weather. The sun was shining and there was lots of exploring to get up and go do, and so my little journey began...

Sunday, February 6, 2011

The Laie Hawaii Temple


“This temple shines as a beacon to all who will follow its light.” 
-President Thomas S. Monson

The Laie Hawaii Temple is less than 1/2 mile away from my house. It is SO pretty! It was the first LDS Church temple built outside of the continental United States. The temple is also the oldest to operate outside of Utah, and the fifth-oldest LDS temple still in operation. The site of the temple was dedicated by Church President Joseph F. Smith on June 1, 1915, and the completed structure was dedicated by Church President Heber J. Grant on November 27, 1919. It was once again renovated and rededicated by President Monson just a few months ago on November 21, 2010.


Im so glad that it is now open and available for me to go inside and do baptisms. It is a whole different experience doing baptisms at this temple than any other temple Ive been to. I get to walk down the beautiful streets of this island straight into an equally beautiful building. The only thing that is the same is the feelings that I get while doing the Lord's work inside.

The first time going to this temple I went with my roommate and her boyfriend. We walked in and the temple workers were a little unorganized. The temple is so newly opened and the workers are always so new that they werent sure what to do because apparently we were supposed to make an appointment. They have so few workers that it is difficult to find enough brethren at any random time to help carry out the baptisms. After about 20 minutes they were able to round up the 3 additional brethren that we needed, and guess what! One of them was the temple president, President Workman! Ive never been baptized or confirmed by the temple president before, and it made the whole experience that much more memorable and exciting. I loved the spirit that he had with him.

{Chanise, Zack, Liz}

I love doing baptisms for the dead, it is so comforting and calming to me. It's one of the only times that my mind allows itself to tune out everything else and focus on what is really important. If I didn't live in paradise I would say it is a great escape from everyday college life responsibilities!

At the temple rededication, President Monson said:






"Long ago defeated warriors or fugitives in ancient Hawaii sought sanctuary in the area that is now Laie. Locals say the walls of that Puuhonua, or city of refuge, marked by white flags, beckoned to all who desired protection and cleansing. And, they add, a renovated temple, standing on the land of the ancient Puuhonua, is a symbol that this is still a city of refuge. The original beauty and structure of the temple has remained intact during the renovation process.”



"In addition," he added, "the state flower, the hibiscus, and leaves and nuts from the kukui tree add local significance to the temple's décor. It stands as a physical manifestation of all the faith, dedication and devotional over the years.”





“We thank our Heavenly Father for the blessings this temple and all temples bring into our lives.”


{Found some Plumeria flowers on the ground}


{Me and Zack looking BEAUTIFUL}

No comments:

Post a Comment