My 6 Months in Paradise

On December 30th, 2010, I began my 6 month adventure of attending BYU Hawaii on the island of Oahu. I boarded a plane at 2:30 pm after a short delay due to a Utah snow storm. Soon I arrived at my layover in Seattle where my best friend Janae and her husband Blake were able to grab a bit to eat with me until my next flight was boarding. I then left for an almost 6 hour restless flight to Honolulu. I was greeted by my aunt, uncle and a bundle of cousins. My cute cousin Alyssa ran up and put a lei around my neck...my little Hawaiian initiation! After a long day I was ready to catch up on some sleep. The next morning I woke up to an orange bird chirping and a warm breeze coming through the window, so nice having come directly out of Utah winter weather. The sun was shining and there was lots of exploring to get up and go do, and so my little journey began...

Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Hiking Sacred Falls - January 22nd


Hiking Sacred Falls was probably the BEST hike I have done up to this point in my life. 
 I went with my new besties Tanner Camp and Andy Romney, as well as two girls: Savannah and Kelsey. 
Sacred Falls is part of a state park that is now closed because of a major landslide that killed several people many years ago. Many people still hike it though, the closure isn't very actively enforced.


It only took about 45 minutes to get to the waterfalls...


We were climbing through crazy tree trunks and branchs,
over wet and dry streams,
in between and around big boulders....


The mountains were INSANELY steep.
The narrow canyons they made were incredible!

Tanner, Me and Andy at the waterfall.
Pictures never do things like this justice!!


Swimming in the waterhole at the top. The water was SOOO cold
but with the warm, humid weather, it was refreshing and such a blast!


Hitch hiking back to Laie. Everyone hitch hikes everywhere along the beaches here.
Its great transportation for college kids like us with no cars and really adds to the
whole Hawaii experience. I would never hitch hike anywhere else though!

1 comment:

  1. how was that hike? did you do the stairway to heaven aka: Haiku Stairs?

    ReplyDelete