My 6 Months in Paradise

On December 30th, 2010, I began my 6 month adventure of attending BYU Hawaii on the island of Oahu. I boarded a plane at 2:30 pm after a short delay due to a Utah snow storm. Soon I arrived at my layover in Seattle where my best friend Janae and her husband Blake were able to grab a bit to eat with me until my next flight was boarding. I then left for an almost 6 hour restless flight to Honolulu. I was greeted by my aunt, uncle and a bundle of cousins. My cute cousin Alyssa ran up and put a lei around my neck...my little Hawaiian initiation! After a long day I was ready to catch up on some sleep. The next morning I woke up to an orange bird chirping and a warm breeze coming through the window, so nice having come directly out of Utah winter weather. The sun was shining and there was lots of exploring to get up and go do, and so my little journey began...

Monday, February 7, 2011

Learning how to longboard!

A few days ago my cousin Andrew taught me how to longboard (mainland longboarding, not Hawaiian longboarding which is surfing which a bigger board). Katie has always been able to longboard and loved it. Ive wanted to try for years but I've always been...well....too scared! Out here there really aren't any big hills for anyone to try to make me go down, everything is pretty flat so I felt more comfortable giving it a try.


It wasn't NEARLY as hard as I thought it would be! Andrew was a good teacher and I think I got the hang of it pretty quick. We went up and down the street a bunch of times, then did a quick cruise around campus. There are speed bumps around campus though, which made me so nervous but the longboard just goes up and over them, no problem! I would still cringe every time as I went over them though, it made me really nervous. Now I just need to keep practicing so I can longboard around campus when I dont feel like riding my bike or asking Andrew for a ride everywhere! Thanks for the help andrew :)

The video is dark (sorry), and I'm only going like 2 mph. No making fun, Im still learning!



{....Im just proud that I put my big girl pants on and finally tried it!....}

No comments:

Post a Comment